Christ the King School was established in the mid-1950’s to serve a growing demand on the west side of Springfield. At that time, Blessed Sacrament Parish served this region and; after three years of study, it was determined that rather than adding on to its current school, a new school should be built at the present site of Christ the King Parish. The original groundbreaking for a school and a convent took place on February 25, 1957. Bishop William O’Connor dedicated the buildings on October 26, 1958. At that time the school had thirteen classrooms, a large kindergarten room, and a gym. It housed grades K-5, with a first year enrollment of 251 students. With each succeeding year, another grade was added until the school became a K-8 building. This composition remained until 1997, when a preschool, serving three, four and five year olds, was opened in what had previously been the Dominican convent.
Until 1963, the families whose children attended Christ the King School were members of Blessed Sacrament Parish. However, in July, 1963, Right Reverend Monsignor John W. Bretz was appointed as the first pastor of the newly formed Christ the King Parish. During those early years, the school gym/cafeteria was used for the celebration of mass. Ground was broken for the current church which was dedicated on November 20, 1972. Monsignor Bretz retired on June 20, 1989, and Reverend Donald Meehling succeeded him. Monsignor David Lantz served the parish from January, 1997 through June 2012. Father Joseph Ring served as pastor from July of 2012 through June 2020. Father Christopher House became pastor of Christ the King on July 1, 2020.
From its beginning, Christ the King School was staffed by Springfield Dominicans and lay teachers. The Dominican sisters left the school in 1986 and Mrs. Joan McKinney, its first lay principal, was hired. Mrs. McKinney was followed by Mr. Kevin Aldrich in 1993. Mrs. Jeanine Kolb served CTK as a teacher before she became the school’s principal until June 2014. Mrs. Pamela Fahey became the fourth principal of Christ the King School in July of 2014.