Christ the King students have the opportunity to participate in the "All Catholic Schools" band program. The band program is open to all students in grades 5-8 who attend one of the Catholic Elementary Schools in Springfield.
Band instruments include: flute, clarinet, alto sax, trumpet/cornet, French horn, trombone and snare drum/percussion.
Students participating in the program will receive 30 minutes, private or group instruction during the school day. The cost is $12.00 per lesson payable weekly or monthly at the beginning of the time period. Students will miss a maximum of 30 minutes class time each week of their lesson
- Make a commitment for the entire school year. Withdrawal from the program requires a conference with the band teachers.
- Bring instrument to school on the day of lesson.
- Attend lessons unless ill or involved in an important school activity. If a student is absent because of illness or family emergency or if the band teacher is absent, there is no charge for the lesson. Lessons will resume the following week. If there is no school on a lesson day, there is no charge. All other absences are unexcused and billable.
- Practice daily.
- Participate in the Springfield Catholic Elementary Schools Band Program on Monday evenings at SHG.
All students enrolled in the Springfield Catholic Elementary Schools Band program are required to participate in group band rehearsals. Students who participate in full band rehearsals in addition to their individual lessons achieve more on their instruments. They learn from one another and are challenged with music beyond the lesson book. Full band rehearsals also teach them to work as a group toward a common and positive goal. Full band rehearsals are in the band room at SHG. SHG donates the time and talents of the band director for the full band rehearsals as their way of supporting the Springfield Catholic Elementary Schools Band program.
SHG will be donating the time and talents of their band teacher for the group band practices as their way of supporting the Catholic Elementary Schools Band Program. Students will play in the SHG band concert at Christmas and in the spring. The total band may be asked to perform for other special events, like the St. Patrick’s Day parade, or play at the various schools to give the band more experience and more visibility.
- Provide a tunable, playable instrument. Provide repairs to instruments not found to be in tunable, playable condition. The Springfield Catholic Elementary Schools Band program recommends Boyd Music for instruments and supplies- www.boydmusicinc.com, Craig Boyd (217) 243-6041, email@example.com.
- Purchase books and supplies for their student. Beginning Band Students – Essential Elements Interactive (2000) Book 1. Beginning Clarinet and Saxophone students – five #2 reeds; Returning Clarinet and Saxophone students – will receive specific instructions. Percussions should have 2B sticks and drum pad. Brass students need valve oil, Vaseline or slide grease and a cleaning brush (snake). ALL students need a folding music stand. Boyd Music will have all of the above available.
- Transport students to and from the full band rehearsals.
- Pay for lessons per agreement on the Springfield Catholic Elementary Schools Band program application.
- Support and encourage your students to practice!